FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Director of Communications
Oct. 30, 2014 GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Grand Rapids Community College is rededicating its newly renovated Peter C. and Pat Cook Academic Hall with a ceremony at 2 p.m. Oct. 31.
GRCC President Dr. Steven C. Ender and Custer Inc. owner Dave Custer, a GRCC alumnus and chairman of the Grand Rapids Community College Foundation board, will speak during the event in room 423 of Cook Hall, 143 Bostwick Ave. NE. The short ceremony will include tours of the renovated space.
"We're proud to show off the new features of Cook Hall," Ender said. "This project, funded as part of the $15 million 'GRCC Works...Ask Anyone' capital campaign and with funding from the state of Michigan Capital Outlay, is just the latest example of the way that West Michigan has supported Grand Rapids Community College during our 100-year history."
Cook Hall began as the North Building when it opened in August 1971 as the first new structure for what was then Grand Rapids Junior College. It was renamed the Peter C. and Pat Cook Academic Hall in 2006 to commemorate the Cooks’ assistance with the Open Door 10 Million College Advancement Campaign.
The renovation project started in 2007 with the first floor; the remaining floors were completed in two phases.
· state-of-the-art equipment and simulation technology for the nursing, dental, radiologic technology and occupational therapy assisting programs.
· expanded academic support labs for language arts, health programs and business.
· larger "informal" learning spaces that can accommodate individual study as well as group projects and faculty interaction.
· new elevators and restrooms.
Grand Rapids Community College, established in 1914, offers opportunities for more than 30,000 students annually in degree courses, certification and training programs, workshops and personal enrichment classes. GRCC holds classes on the downtown Grand Rapids campus as well as several locations throughout Kent and Ottawa counties.