Omaha, NE (April 13, 2015) – The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is creating a nationwide mission this week with National Public Health Week, an event that all travel nursing professionals should keep in mind as they care for various patients. Healthcare staffing leader, Aureus medical Group, talks travel nurses and the link between diabetes and diet.
NPHW contains themes that will strive toward making the U.S. a more healthy country as a whole. Although reducing smoking rates and increasing immunization coverage were mentioned among the NPHW guidelines, diabetes was also a key concern for the CDC, and it’s easy to see why.
Facts about diabetes in the U.S.
Diabetes is one of the most challenging public health issues of our time. Based on the CDC’s 2014 National Diabetes Statistics Report:
- 29.1 million Americans (about 9.3 percent of the population) have diabetes.
- Even more startling, 8.1 percent of these individuals are undiagnosed, which means that one out of four people in this demographic are not taking the preventative steps they need to get the condition under control, such as a proper diet.
- 86 million Americans (more than one in three adults) are prediabetic.
- Mortality rates are 50 percent higher for diabetics than non-diabetics.
- Diabetes costs an astonishing $245 billion for treatment and lost wages, and medical costs are twice as high for diabetics compared to non-diabetics.
- If weight loss and moderate physical activity aren’t achieved on a wide scale, 15 to 30 percent of prediabetics will develop Type 2 diabetes within the next five years.
- There are many serious complications associated with diabetes, including heart disease; stroke; loss of toes, feet or legs; kidney failure and blindness.
Although these trends can seem alarming for RNs as well as the general public, the good news is Type 2 diabetes is a disease that can be managed with a proper diet.
Read the full article for more information on diabetics and eating well.
About Aureus Medical Group:
Aureus Medical Group is a national leader in healthcare staffing specializing in the successful placement of Nursing, Advanced Practice, Cardiopulmonary, Diagnostic Imaging, Medical Laboratory, Neurodiagnostics, Radiation Oncology, and Rehabilitation Therapy professionals, as well as Physicians, in hospitals and medical facilities nationwide. With more than 30 years of experience, Aureus Medical offers a full range of staffing options, including national contract (travel), local contract, and direct hire. Aureus Medical is the largest affiliate of Omaha-based C&A Industries, a leading provider of human capital management solutions for more than 45 years.