Flagship concept includes The Mixx’s first full-service coffee bar, juice bar, in-house bakery and evolved design with lounge seating and wrap-around patio
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (June 2,2015) —Kansas City’s original healthy, quick-casual restaurant officially opens its first Kansas location in Overland Park’s Hawthorne Plaza Shopping Center at the corner of 119th Street and Roe Avenue on June 2. Concepted by owner, Jo Marie Scaglia, the new restaurant is the third location for The Mixx. The fresh, new flagship restaurant is the largest location with a new design, integrating the additions of a full-service juice bar, coffee bar and an in-house bakery.
About the space:
The new space underwent an extensive renovation. The interior features mid-century modern design influences hand-picked by Scaglia. The entire new space draws on natural light from a skylight uncovered during construction. The signature green with white and earth tones continue the light and fresh design elements. The space is designed to relax in, dine in and easily pick up the many quick casual options, featuring:
- A lounge seating area features green lounge chairs, side tables and a television displaying cooking-inspired program
- A new coffee and fresh-pressed juice bar is adjacent to the lounge with dedicated staff
- Custom salad and sandwich ordering stations feature the hundreds of combinations for fresh mixxes
- Custom-built mid-century modern artistic divider screen between dining and lounge area
- Specially-designed community tables and hand-painted wall panels built locally byJakobe furniture
- Floor-to-ceiling windows open to wrap-around patio
- Vintage, classic white Herman Miller-inspired chairs and tables are in dining area and patio
- Green and white tiled walls as well as floor tile designs and hard wood
- Ample parking for those on-the-go, or those who prefer to stay and work
- The restaurant is fully wired to connect and recharge
- Call-in orders, online orders, inside pick up or curbside
- A 4,300 square foot space and 2,237 square foot dining room
In-house bake shop:
The new Hawthorne location is introducing and adding The Mixx’s first in-house bakery, which will bake items for all of The Mixx locations from the traditional to alternative, vegan, vegetarian and items with gluten free ingredients, including:
- Alternative and signature truffles
- Breakfast breads
- House-made granola and granola bars
Fresh-pressed juice bar, smoothie and coffee bar:
Expanding and building on the fresh and quick-casual commitment, is the addition of a full-service coffee and juice bar, featuring custom menus crafted by Scaglia, including:
- Seven handcrafted pressed juice drinks such as the Citrus Sunrise, Immune-Aid and Spa Day Delight.
- Create your own pressed juice from 24 ingredients
- Five handcrafted smoothies, including the Mocha Almond Joy, Heavenly Banana and Tropical Paradise.
- Create your own smoothie from 18 ingredients
- Wellness shots for cleansing, focus/stress, digestion/immunity, antioxidant and other health benefits
- The Broadway Roasting Company is the local partner for coffee and specialty drinks, including espresso, macchiato, Americano, latte and cappuccino
- Scaglia created house-made, handcrafted syrups (Rosemary, Lavender, Cinnamon-Caramel, Vanilla and Skinny Vanilla) and sauces (Chocolate and Caramel) available for for all coffee drinks
- The local Hugo Tea company provides the tea for either a cup of team, pot of tea or specialty tea drink
The Hawthorne location is adding a quick-serve breakfast as well as grab-and-go menu with handcrafted sandwiches and wraps made to order. Scaglia plans to unveil her new breakfast menu starting June 15.
About the menu:
The new Mixx concept will continue to feature made-from-scratch recipes and custom salads, sandwiches and wraps with an updated menu debuting June 15. In addition, Scaglia is currently in the works producing precise calorie counts for all menu items. The Mixx is finalizing a gluten-free menu and accommodates dietary restrictions. The Mixx offers beer, wine and vodka specialty drinks.
Grand Opening Week charitable partner:
The Mixx is proud to partner with Elite Feet, a part of Shoe Kansas City, for its Hawthorne Plaza Grand Opening week. Donations will be accepted June 4 – 6 of gently worn or new footwear for people in the community who struggle with homelessness and poverty. In addition, all diners who donate to Elite Feet will receive a coupon for a complimentary breakfast sandwich/wrap or coffee beverage.
Hours of operation:
The Mixx Hawthorne Plaza location will be open Monday – Friday, 7 a.m. – 8 p.m., Saturday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. For more news on The Mixx Hawthorne location, please “like” The Mixx on Facebook at facebook.com/TheMixxKC, or follow on Twitter and Instagram at @MissMixxKC. In addition, The Mixx recently launched a monthly newsletter so customers can stay current on the latest menu updates, specials and news about its locations.
About The Mixx:
The Mixx is a modern, casual restaurant that focuses on fresh, homemade salads, soups, sandwiches, wraps and pasta dishes. The made-to-order menu consists of innovative, healthy cuisine at reasonable prices. Locally and independently owned, The Mixx was started in 2005 by local restaurateur Jo Marie Scaglia as the founding quick, casual restaurant in Kansas City, with an emphasis on healthy eating. The Mixx currently has three locations at 4855 Main Street in the Plaza Colonnade, (816) 756-2300, The Kansas City Power & Light District at 1347 Main Street, (816) 283-0300, and a new location in the Hawthorne Plaza Shopping Center at 11942 Roe Avenue, (913) 338-4000. Follow The Mixx on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheMixxKC, on Twitter at @MissMixxKC or on Instagram at @MissMixxKC. Visit www.mixxingitup.com for the latest menus, updates and additional information about The Mixx.