Sept. 3 was national skyscraper day—a day to celebrate the tallest buildings, the architects who designed them and the people who built them. It’s reported that architectural forefather Louis H. Sullivan’s birthday (Sept. 3, 1856) is the reason why it’s celebrated on that day. Although national skyscraper day has come and gone, you can still celebrate by admiring the tallest buildings in your home town.
In case you were wondering, here’s a list of the top 10 tallest skyscrapers in the United States. New York City, Chicago and Atlanta are home to these buildings.
U.S. top 10 tallest buildings:
- One World Trade Center, New York (1,776 feet)
- Willis Tower, Chicago (1,451 feet)
- Trump International Hotel & Tower, Chicago (1,389 feet)
- Empire State Building, New York City (1,250 feet)
- Bank of America Tower, New York City (1,200 feet)
- Aon Center, Chicago (1,136 feet)
- John Hancock Center, Chicago (1,128 feet)
- Chrysler Building, New York City (1,046 feet)
- New York Times Tower, New York City (1,046 feet)
- Bank of America Plaza, Atlanta (1,040 feet)
If you’re interested in learning where you can find the tallest skyscrapers worldwide, here’s a list. Although there is some discrepancy about how to measure these buildings (include the antenna or flagpoles), Dubai’s Burj Khalifa building remains the tallest while New York City’s One World Trade Building is the fourth tallest.
Top 10 tallest buildings worldwide:
- Burj Khalifa, Dubai, United Arab Emirates (2,717 feet)
- Shanghai Tower, Shanghai, China (2,073 feet)
- Makkah Royal Clock Tower Hotel, Mecca, Saudi Arabia (1,972 feet)
- One World Trade Center, New York City, USA (1 ,776 feet)
- CTF Finance Centre, Guangzhou, China (1,739 feet)
- Taipei 101, Taipei, Taiwan (1,667 feet)
- Shanghai World Financial Center, Shanghai, China (1,614 feet)
- International Commerce Centre, Hong Kong (1,587 feet)
- and 10. Petronas Towers 1 and 2, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (1,483 feet)
If you think that these manmade marvels make great travel destinations, then you aren’t alone. In 2013, 1.87 million people visited the top of the Burj Khalifa building alone.
Top three reasons to visit the tallest skyscrapers:
- Rule benders. The architectural race to see which country can build the tallest skyscraper still charges on and there doesn’t seem to be an end in site. Each time a new skyscraper tops the list, it’s pushing the limits for how tall a building can be built. There are many reasons why the record is tough to beat. Money and the elevator system seem to be two of the toughest challenges. This gives yet another reason to marvel at these architectural feats.
- Location. Location. Location. The world’s tallest skyscrapers are built in some of the most interesting cities with much more to see and do. For example, if you’re visiting One World Trade Center in New York City, you’ll have the opportunity to take in all the sites the city offers. Central Park and Broadway shows are just a few.
- Art and history. Just to name a few U.S. examples, the Empire State Building was the tallest building in the world for more than 40 years, making it historically significant. It’s also a premier example of Art Deco architectural design, which was popular in 1929 when it was erected. One World Trade Center is said to be one of the greenest and safest skyscrapers ever built.
If you’re planning a trip to New York City or any of the destinations on this list, then prepare to be amazed by these tall structures and all that they offer. Whether you’re traveling domestically or internationally, you might want to protect your investment and consider purchasing travel insurance as well.
About CSA Travel Protection
CSA Travel Protection, a Europ Assistance Group company, is dedicated to providing valuable travel insurance and emergency assistance services to protect travelers’ vacation investments and provide the peace of mind one deserves while traveling. With over 20 years of experience, CSA has developed a reputation for standing behind its customers and by offering products and services to meet their needs. Through award-winning customer service, extensive experience and industry-leading innovation, CSA is with its clients every step of the way.