Aspen Snowmass, Colo., August 4, 2014 – J. Marshall Thomson of Crested Butte, Colo. took home first place for the second year in a row in the Power of Four Mountain 50K Trail race Sunday. The Power of Four 50K is the newest addition to the Audi Power of Four race series and is in its second year. The race covers each of the four Aspen Snowmass mountains. The course challenges racers with almost 10,000 feet of climbing over 31 miles (50K).
“The course has some great climbs, beautiful scenery and lots of awesome singletrack,” said Thomson. “It really is a true trail race and I enjoy coming to this race.” Thomson is an accredited endurance athlete and took home first place in the 2013 Grand Traverse race from Crested Butte to Aspen.
The race featured a solo category with the run being a full 50K, a half course of 22K and relay options for teams of two and four to split the race. Below are the results for the top finishers in each category:
Men’s Solo Racers (50K):
- J. Marshall Thomson, Crested Butte, Colo. – 4:37:07.2
- Paul Hamilton, Durango, Colo. – 4:43:46.2
- Jared Hazen, Colorado Springs, Colo. – 4:46:51.1
Women's Solo Racers (50K):
- Leila Degrave, Boulder, Colo. – 5:51:21.0
- Mary Mahony, Crested Butte, Colo. – 6:07:55.0
- Kylie Collins, Snowmass, Colo. – 6:31:30.0
Relay 50K Team of Two:
1. Carrie Vickers and Robin Pfatuz – 5:14:00.5
2. Becca Tudor and Jan Herrick – 5:54:15.2
3. Michelle Smith and Lindsay Plant – 6:14:00.6
Relay 50K Team of Four:
1. Emery Holton, Chris Head, Jordie Karlinski and Meaghan Lynch – 6:19:17.2
2. Maria Hidalgo, Amanda Boyle, Sarah Maner, Lauren Waldron – 6:36:44.5
3. Tamme Mellenthin, Sam Louras, Jenni Petersen, Linda Spada-Magill – 7:33:35.5
Women’s Solo Racers (Half course – 22K):
1. Ann Driggers – 2:46:07.0
2. Erin Wright – 3:14:17.4
3. Katharine Haber – 3:52:45.1
Men’s Solo Racers (Half course – 22K):
1. Jason Groves – 3:11:42.1
2. Travis Benson – 3:34:53.2
3. Cameron Wiggin – 3:48:46.2
The Power of Four 50K represents the third event installment of the growing Power of Four series which includes the mountain bike race as well as a ski mountaineering race in the winter. Local Max Taam of Aspen, Colo. has become a strong competitor in the Power of Four race series and finished sixth in the 50K in addition to competing in the Power of Four Mountain Bike race yesterday.
Complete results of the 50K race will be available later today at the following link:
For photos by Jeremy Swanson visit: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aspensnowmass/sets/72157645745757140
Aspen/Snowmass would like to thank the Aspen/Snowmass Power of Four sponsors: Muscle Milk, Clif Bar, Smith Optics, Helly Hansen, GoPro and Shocktop Belgium White.
Aspen Skiing Company operates the four mountains in the Aspen/Snowmass area - Snowmass, Aspen Mountain, Aspen Highlands and Buttermilk - as well as the award-winning Ski & Snowboard Schools of Aspen/Snowmass. The area offers unparalleled nightlife and off-slope activities as well. Aspen/Snowmass is accessible by two of the most convenient airports in the mountains – Aspen/Pitkin County Airport (ASE) (3 miles from Aspen) and Eagle County Airport (EGE) (70 miles from Aspen). For more information on Aspen Skiing Company, please call 800-525-6200 or 970-925-1220, or visit the company’s website at www.aspensnowmass.com.