Park County has been receiving very hot, dry conditions which we usually don’t see here until later in the summer months. As seen in last week’s devastating fire off county Road 2AB
the Cody winds mixed with the dry fuels and low humidity contributed to
rapid fire spread and extreme fire behavior.
Several areas around the state are experiencing similar conditions, and many
are already under red flag warnings. A red flag warning means critical fire
weather conditions - strong winds, low humidity and warm temperatures - are
present or imminent.
There is no significant moisture in the forecast, which means these
conditions will continue through the 4th of July holiday.
*Things you should know:*
- It is illegal to discharge fireworks within the city limits of Cody.
- Fireworks are prohibited on all state and federal land.
- The only place it is legal to discharge fireworks is on privately
owned land outside the city limits with permission from the land owner.
*Concerns to Firefighters and the Public:*
- PCFD #2 wants everyone to enjoy the fun and beauty of fireworks to
help us celebrate our freedom.
- The safest way to enjoy fireworks is to watch the public fireworks
show put on by professionals.
- It is likely we will be experiencing many days in the near future of
red flag conditions. It is your responsibility to check the weather
forecast and any red flag conditions prior to using any open flames
- Individuals may be held liable for any damages done to property for a
fire they start negligently.
*If you plan on using fireworks this year, consider the following fireworks
- Anticipate any ignition in flashy fine fuels to burn readily and move
rapidly during periods of dry and windy weather conditions.
- Keep a supply of water, shovel, and fire extinguisher close by as a
- Use only under adult supervision.
- Never give fireworks to small children, and always follow the
instructions on the packaging.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight "a dud."
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place away from children and pets.
- Never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles,
structures or flammable materials.
- Leave any area immediately where untrained amateurs are using
Park County Fire District #2 hopes everyone has a safe and fun holiday!
Feel free to contact them if you have any questions - Sam Wilde – Fire
Marshal/Deputy County Fire Warden at (307)-527-8552.