EPDM roofing was born in 1970. The elastomeric compound EPDM is generally comprised of three things - propylene, ethylene and some amount of diene monomer. This makes it capable of facing any adverse condition, be it low temperature, weathering or abrasion, even acid and alkali. Thanks to its flexibility and endurance, it is easy to manage and functional in all types of weather. In 1980s, liquid adhesives made way for seam tapes. This enhanced productivity and hence the roofing technology. Self adhering elements have made the roof quality better. Today, there are better equipments for installation. One of them is ergonomic innovations, this helps crew to not get fatigued easily.
EPDM is one of the most popular roofing materials used in the USA today with more than 1 billion square feet of roofing being laid every year. What makes it popular among the masses is that it can be repaired and restored without much hassle. It can be seen in a variety of installations like tunnels, pond liners, foundations, garden roofs, terraces and RV roofs.
Here's more that you should know about the EPDM roofing technology:
- You need not protect it against sun's harmful rays. It is different from natural rubber and need not be protected against UV rays or ultraviolet rays. Any additional product will only lead to damage.
- This type of roofing material is manufactured such that it can last up to 20 years. Do not apply a special product to protect the rubber.
- No cleaners should be used such as petroleum solvents or harsh solvents or citric base. Petroleum distillates are harmful. Even if the label says it is in a small amount, one should not buy it.
- Do not use cleaning products that contain petroleum distillates on your EPDM roofs, this can lessen the warranty provided to you by the manufacturer. You surely wouldn't want to do that. There is an easy way to know whether the roof already installed has petroleum distillates or not - swellings and loose areas.
- Tears can be repaired easily. Repair methods to be used include stick repair kits.
- For an oxidising roof, do not worry. It is but natural. All you can do in favor of your roof is slow it down with cleaning. Periodic cleaning is important. Clean it three to four times in a week.
- To prevent rubber wrapping, wipe the area clean and then discourage soiling and use products safe for the rubber roofs.
- People tend to consider it as one of the most hazardous for the nature, but is not. It is highly sustainable and eco-friendly among all the roofing materials that are available in the market today. It is durable and may last upto 50 years. EPDM lasted 40 years when observed in the field.
- Different manufacturers offer different warranties. Do check it before assigning the installation task to any roofing contractor near your location.
- 90 mil EPDM - a new variant. It is puncture resistant. The membrane is thick and one of the best when it comes to waterproof protection.
This cost effective EPDM roofing technology is all you need to protect your home and family.