Cheyenne Restaurant Sued for Salmonella Poisoning; Couple Awarded $11.4 Million

Christopher and Heather Gage, residents of Bridgeport, NE, were awarded $11.4 million for contracting salmonella poisoning after eating at Old Country Buffet in Cheyenne. Mr. Gage was hospitalized for fifteen days and underwent numerous surgeries and procedures due to the salmonella-induced illness, and continues to suffer from complications, court documents state. The Laramie County Health Department previously had found 18 code violations at the restaurant shortly after receiving multiple reports of customers becoming ill after eating there. Some symptoms Gage experienced after eating at the Cheyenne buffet was cramping, diarrhea, dehydration, vomiting, fever, sepsis, acute kidney failure, and atrial fibrillation. Gage has underwent several surgeries including central line placement, colonoscopy, and exploratory laparotomy. Old Country Buffet, chain restaurant under the Minnesota corporation, Ovation Brands, failed numerous times to respond to the initial allegations early on, court documents state. Mrs. Gage has become a full-time caregiver for Mr. Gage since the salmonella poisoning, testifying that he does not "feel like a husband anymore...she does everything." #shortgo