WYDOT - Hiring Mechanic - Lander
Open Until Filled
Under direct supervision, performs a variety of maintenance and repair tasks with automotive equipment on heavy-duty vehicles, including diesel and gasoline engine overhauls and tune- ups, brakes, steering, transmission or hydraulic repair.
The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Conducts a wide variety of preventive maintenance and/or repairs on various automotive or heavy equipment along with other self-propelled or towed equipment.
- Performs safety inspections on all types of automotive components and heavy equipment vehicles.
- Reads and interprets technical manuals in order to diagnose and correct problems on vehicles and equipment.
- Rigs and fabricates new equipment to district standards.
- Creates repair orders.
- Responsible for inventory of shop, equipment and supplies.
- Designs and fabricates parts for tractors, mowers, and machinery for specialized applications.
Preference may be given to applicants who have successfully completed any equipment certification exams.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of automotive maintenance and repair
- Knowledge of electronic principles and diagnostic tools.
- Knowledge of light and heavy duty automotive equipment and their parts (i.e. hydraulics, hydrostatics, drive trains, gas and diesel engine overhauls.)
- Knowledge of grease and oil specifications.
- Knowledge of general servicing of equipment.
- Knowledge of policies and safe work procedures.
Education: Associate's Degree
0-2 years of progressive work experience (typically in Heavy Mechanics)
Education & Experience Substitution:
2-4 years of progressive work experience (typically in Heavy Mechanics)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Ability to obtain a CDL
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
- Individuals in this classification must be available for emergency work calls at anytime, including nights, weekends and holidays. Individuals must report to the Department Shop within 30 minutes of receiving the call. Acceptance of an appointment to this classification signifies that the individual is aware of this requirement and will comply by it.
For full WYDOT job posting and instructions for applying, click here.