WYDOT - Hiring Heavy Mechanic - Thermopolis
TDHM06-05829 - Heavy Mechanic - Thermopolis
Salary $2,962.00 - $3,702.00 Monthly
Location Thermopolis, WY Job Type Full TimeDepartment 045-WYDOT-Chief Engineer - Field Operations - Equipment
Job Number 05829
Description and Functions
Open Until Filled
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: The Wyoming Department of Transportation (WYDOT) is seeking a Heavy Mechanic located in Thermopolis, Wyoming. Under direct supervision, performs a variety of maintenance and repair tasks with automotive equipment on heavy-duty vehicles, including diesel and gasoline engine overhauls and tune- ups, brakes, steering, transmission or hydraulic repair.
The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Conducts a wide variety of preventive maintenance and/or repairs on various automotive or heavy equipment, along with other self-propelled or towed equipment.
- Performs safety inspections on all types of automotive components and heavy equipment vehicles.
- Reads and interprets technical manuals in order to diagnose and correct problems on vehicles and equipment.
- Rigs and fabricates new equipment to district standards.
- Creates repair orders.
- Responsible for inventory of shop, equipment, and supplies.
- Designs and fabricates parts for tractors, mowers, and machinery for specialized applications.
Preference will be given to applicants who have successfully completed any equipment certification exams.
**Agency requires the successful applicant obtain a Commercial Driver's License within 30 days of employment.
**Welder Certification card for FH&V Fillet and FH&V Grove 3/4" welds is a plus.
**Must have ability to obtain a SMAW FH&V 3/4" max welding certification.
- Knowledge of methods and techniques of automotive maintenance and repair.
- Knowledge of electronic principles and diagnostic tools.
- Knowledge of light and heavy duty automotive equipment and their parts (i.e. hydraulics, hydrostatics, drive trains, gas and diesel engine overhauls.)
- Knowledge of grease and oil specifications.
- Knowledge of general servicing of equipment.
- Knowledge of policies and safe work procedures.
Education: Associate's Degree PLUS Experience: 0-2 years of progressive work experience (typically in Heavy Mechanics)
Education & Experience Substitution:
2-4 years of progressive work experience (typically in Heavy Mechanics)
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
Ability to obtain a CDL
Necessary Special Requirements
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Individuals in this classification must be available for emergency work calls at anytime, including nights, weekends and holidays. Individuals must report to the Department Shop within 30 minutes of receiving the call. Acceptance of an appointment to this classification signifies that the individual is aware of this requirement and will comply with it. Failure to be available for emergency work, without an acceptable excuse, will be grounds for immediate disciplinary action and possible dismissal. Individuals in this classification will be subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
NOTES: FLSA: Non-exempt